Financial Counselling Australia (FCA) is the national voice of the financial counselling profession in Australia. We are a not-for-profit organisation that:
- Provides resources and support for financial counsellors;
- Advocates to increase access to financial counselling;
- Works to raise the profile of financial counsellors;
- Advocates for a fairer marketplace; and
- Works to improve hardship processes for people in financial difficulty.
There are about 800 financial counsellors working in Australia. Through their efforts, thousands of Australians are able to overcome financial hardship.
An Australia with fewer people in financial hardship.
Support and promote the financial counselling profession
- We provide resources, coordinate training and professional development opportunities, and update and improve the Diploma qualification.
- We support our members, the seven state and territory financial counselling associations, to uphold the standards and professionalism of financial counselling in Australia.
- We run an annual conference bringing together key players from industry, government and the financial counselling community to share learning, provide professional development and to stay abreast of new developments.
- We support the network of financial capability workers who provide financial literacy education, including in remote areas.
- We work to raise the profile of financial counselling in Australia and increase access to the service.
National Debt Helpline
- We coordinate the National Debt Helpline telephone financial counselling service and website.
Policy and debate
- We contribute to policy development by writing submissions to government about systemic issues identified by financial counsellors.
- We contribute to public debate through comment in the media and contact with decision makers.
- We work collaboratively with industry, including financial service providers, debt collectors and utility companies, to improve processes for people in hardship.