Supporting Australians through financial difficulty is a priority for FCA. FCA coordinates the National Debt Helpline (NDH), which consists of a national phone service operating under the 1800 007 007 number and is complemented by the National Debt Helpline website.
The website encourages early action and self-help options to reduce the number of people who end up with payday lenders, credit repair agencies or debt agreement administrators.
The website is an excellent resource for the public, financial counsellors and other community workers. It:
- Provides useful, comprehensive and clear step-by-step guides to solve common debt problems.
- Highlights debt traps such as interest-free loans, payday loans and credit repair agencies.
- Encourages self-action but also reminds visitors that they can call the free, confidential and professional service if they need more help.
- Provides financial counsellors with an easy tool to refer their clients to.
- Outlines legal rights and debtor obligations.